Getting Wired: 10 Wire and Cable Facts of Life
1) The U.S Pentagon uses 100,000+ miles of telephone wiring. Click Here for More Info.
2)The aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) has approximately 1,600 miles of cable and wiring throughout. Click Here for More Info.
3) The Boeing 747-400 has approximately 171 miles of wiring throughout the aircraft. Click Here for More Info.
4) In the 1960’s Boeing used ferrets to string wire throughout their planes. Click Here for More Info.
5) The Golden Gate Bridge is comprised of cables that hold more than 27,400 strands of wire. The two main cables alone have more than 80,000 miles of wire inside! Click Here for More Info.
6) In today’s automobiles there are approximately 1,500 copper wires that if laid out would stretch nearly 1 mile long. Click Here for More Info.
7) The longest telephone cable is 16,800 miles in length and stretches from The United Kingdom to Japan. Click Here for More Info.
8) 99% of international data is transmitted by wires called submarine communications cables, which are located at the bottom of the ocean floor. They are hundreds of thousands miles long and run as deep as Mount Everest is tall. The cables are installed by special boats called Cable-Layers. Click Here for More Info.
9) The thinnest wire in the world is 10,000 times thinner than a human hair. Click Here for More Info.
10) In a Lockheed Martin C-5 Galaxy it takes 100 miles of wire to operate the aircraft system. Click Here for More Info.